Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Technology Will Turn us into Zombies

Have a looksee at this:


Grisly, isn't it?

I'd like to be able to assert my manhood and claim this as some sort of injury I sustained while fighting a pack of rabid wolves. Hell, I'd even be cool with some sort of flesh-eating bacteria contracted while retrieving a meteor in the Amazonian jungles. Sadly, no such adventure caused this hole in my face. It's merely the result of TECHNOLOGY.

While playing with my recently-acquired Camera Bag app, I took a picture (that, notably, my camera phone completely horked up the white balance on). I'd originally wanted to try out an in-your-face pic with the fisheye lens filter. 

Pre-fisheye crosseye. Maybe a little extreme on the closeup.
(and pretty damed orange, too)
But while fiddling with the various options, I applied the infrared filter, and the hilight on my nose was inverted into a picture-perfect hole. I'm not sure if this is what the developers of Camera Bag had in mind, but the result is bloody awesome.

In the interest of science, I immediately tried to recreate the effect:


EUREKA! Again, the hilight on the nose decays into an awesome window to my inner skull. And the abrasions on the forehead become a bit more pronounced. I've successfully recreated the hole in my nose.

Finally, using my newfound powers for angry zombie result:

Yes, I did take this picture in the bathroom. And no, I will
not tell you what I was doing in the bathroom at the time.
Even Angry Zombies have limits as to what they'll share.
Chewed up nose: Check. Bruising/abrasions on forehead: Check. Really nifty blood-clot looking thing in the eye: Check.

All those cautionary sci-fi tales were right: technology DOES dehumanize us and turn us into mindless angry zombies. 




 

No comments:

Post a Comment